Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Classy Kerry


All class.
She really was. 
I never saw her once without makeup.  Always graceful and groomed from top to toe.  Gorgeous, glamorous - a great lady.  I will miss our constant chats about the perfect hue of blonde. It was the mainstay of our many catch ups - she would always notice the subtle shade of colour when no one else would. 
I love and will miss her wry sense of humour. She had an absolute knack of deflecting the conversation off herself and back on to you - a very private person who gave away little of herself, but gave so much if you know what I mean.  To me, she is the ultimate professional.  She never felt the need to sell herself, her cats, her life etc to magazines, she wasn't at the opening of an envelope and she proved that to be good on the radio, to rate well and to win awards - you don't need to seek out 'fame';  as is often the misguided (desperate) way in this business.  I loved her for that. That's class.  And so many could learn alot from her in that department.

I first met her years ago when she was reigning supreme at i98FM.  I had only been in radio a couple of years and was new to the Auckland airwaves - she took a liking to me and made way for me to work on her breakfast show as her out and about girl.  Her and Alice Worsley were hilarious together -the Thelma and Louise of the airwaves.  We had some fun, giving away laundries and shopping sprees et al with me chasing down weirdos in Queen St in the big ole i98 van.    
She had some challenges professionally - and I admire the way she fought and won.  She certainly became my go to girl for advice on contracts and employment... years later when I went through some employment issues of my own, she was the first on the phone to offer support and direction.  Don't back down she said. 
Thorugh the years she gave me phone numbers and contacts and tip offs and followed my career with love and attention.  She kept an eye on me in a way that is not often seen in this funny old business.  Its kind of tough for women, with so few positions and sometimes only one per station.  Some women in radio (on air) are territorial and don't like to share the spotlight, often unsupportive and not very graceful of others success.  Kerry was never like that.  I am so grateful she was my early role model - because I like to think that I learnt that from her.  No ego, at all.  And in an industry built on distorted ego's that was so refreshing and kind of amazing.  She was always Queen Bee of course ( although working with her she certainly never made you feel like she was).   She was just so damn good and had the magic touch in conversing  and connecting - on the air or in person. 
She embodied so much of what the Breeze is about.  She was it's heart. We called her Mum.  And she was a fabulous mother hen to us all, but more importantly in real life to her gorgeous and cherished Kimberley. 
Perhaps the hardest and most heart breaking thing is all that glamourous knitting she has been doing for her much longed for grandchild arriving very soon.
 I am so sorry Kerry that you never got to meet that much loved little baby - I know you wanted to hang on til then.  X

4 comments:

  1. Nicki, what a lovely tribute to a wonderful, wonderful woman. Gone too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tribute, Nicki. Must be very sad for you all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such a shock to hear the news of the passing of such a grand dame of broadcasting in this country. I was a big fan of her (and yourself) on the Breeze radio station. I can't imagine the sadness you must all be going through. Kia Kaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Nicki, a very sad loss, she was a trailblazer! x KJ

    ReplyDelete